Wednesday, October 11, 2006

On The Sticks & In the Fridge

 

If it's autumn, it must be time to knit! At least it seems that once the air gets that cool, crisp feeling then it's naturally time to start oogling lovely yarn and dreaming about what you might make out of it. Since my life has been so hectic lately, a nice, warm scarf that requires nothing but garter stitch is just the thing. Plus, I can knit away while listening to tv, music, or the radio, without dropping stitches, or otherwise messing up--always a bonus!

 

Yesterday was such a fabulous day and a perfect time to harvest the last bits from the garden. I ended up with some squash, green beans, cherry tomatoes, and a bowl full of quince fruit. (Quince smell so fragrant and wonderful--if you can find room for a bush they provide you lovely flowers first thing in the Spring and then you can scent your home naturally with their fruit in the Autumn.) They were all so pretty that I had to capture them. If we're lucky, we may get a little more, but the nights have gotten colder, so who knows. We'll enjoy it while we can! Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

I love quince jelly, but we don't seem to grow them around here and the jelly isn't found much in stores. I'll have to look again.

Guess what, I'm on MSN messenger with Inuit from the arctic at the moment! Some where born in snow houses. It's an incredible world!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

Love harvest outside the door! Gorgeous photo. Have you ever tried quince butter? Tasty, tasty stuff!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Michael, it is an incredible world, when you can visit with others all over the globe--even in such remote parts as the arctic!

Wildside, I have not tried quince butter. I'm sure it would be wonderful. Do you have a recipe?

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there; I'm glad I came back to check your comments. No, I don't have a recipe as the quince butter was given to me as a gift last year and I passed on another gift of frozen quince to my neighbor. I think you could devise one yourself by looking at the "Joy of Cooking" and combining a couple recipes: peach or apricot butter and quince preserves. They also have an interesting-looking recipe for something called Qwitten-brod or -wurst which is actually just a quince paste very popular in Germany (as you might guess)...

(This is Wildside unable to sign in)

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home