Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Going to the Gym Anyone?


Copyright AllPosters.com

Whew! After cancelling our membership to a local gym that was costing us a lot of money each month, and was too far away to fit reasonably into our lifestyle; we were looking for a way to keep moving without it impacting our lives too much.

Now I'm pleased to learn that a new study has been done showing that doing simple housework each day adds up enough to prevent breast cancer!

"Women who exercise by doing the housework can reduce their risk of breast cancer, a study suggests. The research on more than 200,000 women from nine European countries found doing household chores was far more cancer protective than playing sport."
Since I'm famous for disliking most athletic things, this cheers me. I'd rather get in shape (or at least prevent further disintegration) by doing works that needs to be done anyway, than by spending money to sweat on an elipical trainer!

(Read the article from BBC news:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6214655.stm )

5 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

YES! This is great news. I'm a rare one that really does LIKE housework. I'm not overly crazy about doing it, but I love that simple feeling of having my house just right and the smell and everything having it's place. Of course, I may have to get on my hands and knees to really burn a lot!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

Don't like it, but it all must be done! Plus like that saving on gym fees... Yes, indeedy!

Happy New Year! All the best.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Don't like house work...don't like exercising... guess I'm hooped... LOL. I really do need to start pushing myself to get more active, all joking aside.

12:31 AM  
Blogger Czarina said...

I like housework, but it's seems never-ending, and when I just finished cleaning and it's dirty again, I get really bent out of shape.

I guess it's good news for me as I am almost obsessed with cleaning.

What about walking outdoors...park trails or mall. I think most malls would open early to let the walkers in, but can't run in there, but brisk walk is allowed.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yes, housework can be repetitive and dull. However, I try to enjoy myself while I do it by being thankful of all that I have in my little house. When I dust I take the opportunity to enjoy the tables and little items and think about where I got them, or the person who gave them to me. When I vac and sweep, I think about all those who aren't able to own their own homes, or worse yet, don't have any home at all. Then I'm happy and grateful that I have the blessing of cleaning my own home. It helps!

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home