Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Finding Peace




"The Peace Of Wild Things"

By Wendell Berry


When despair for the world grows in me

and I wake in the night at the least sound

in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,

I go and lie down where the wood drake

Rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.

I come into the peace of wild things

who do not tax their lives with forethought,

of grief. I come into the presence of still water,

And I feel above me the day-blind stars

waiting with their light. For a time

I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.


I love this poem. What a gentle feeling it provides. When my days get hectic and I feel like I'm running in circles, I try to find a reading like this to focus on. It's a way to relax and calm myself. When there is too much to do, too many demands, and too much sadness in the world, then Mr. Berry's poetry helps me right my priorities.

5 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

That's beautiful. I wish there was somewhere close like that where I could restore myself.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

Wow, Lisa! Did you take that photo? It's gorgeous!!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

like the poem, it it peaceful

12:51 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

It is a beautiful place isn't it? I wish I'd taken the photo, but it's the talent of someone else that I'm simply enjoying.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I love that poem. Of course I love just about anything Wendell Berry writes.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home