Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Garden Angst


"I am quite of the opinion that a garden
should look as though it belong to a
house, and the house as though it were
conscious of and approved the garden. In
passing from one to the other, one should
experience no sense of discord, but the
sensations produced by the one should be
continued, with a delicate difference, by
the other."
Alfred Austin (1835-1913)

I hope that this is true for my garden, although one never knows. Creating an attractive gaqrden is difficult enough without wondering if it "looks like it belongs". I'm struggling with the garden in front of the house. Originally, I wanted to create a "water-wise" garden--one that required little water other than the rain. Then I was possessed witht a strong desire to save money and use what I had to create a cottage garden. This worked out well from a frugality aspect, but I'm not quite certain that it goes well with the house. So...this summer I will mull over digging out some of the perennials that I don't care for and offer them to friends and neighbors and see about reverted back to my original purpose--an attractive, water-wise garden that requires minimal care. Stay tuned....

2 Comments:

Blogger clairesgarden said...

interesting post and an idea to mull over. I think my garden is eventually going to look like a big vegetable plot.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you live near SeaTac and do decide to dig, give me a holler. I'm not that commited to what goes into my garden yet and will take donations!

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home