Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Lot's O Lavender!

This year I vowed to actually use my lavender for something rather than just having it dry up on the plants and get tossed into the compost pile. Last year at my Master Gardener's Perenninal group, a woman gave a talk on lavender and its many uses. To augment the talk, the refresments were lavender lemonade, lavender shortbread, lavender scones, etc. Yum. There are some great recipes here. I'm not sure what variety these plants are, so I'm hesitent to use them for eating (some lavender oils aren't good for you), so I'm planning on making sachets, etc. with them. In any case, they are making the garage smell wonderful while they're drying!
Here's the lavender bed prior to it's haircut.


 

It's now been shorn.


 

Look at all the lovely flowers I have to use!


  Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interweave Knits has a great satchet pattern for a Mitered Heart that would go lovely with your lavender. :) You can check out the one I made on the blog.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Oh, I wrestle with this. I love seeing the lavendar in the garden, brushing up against it, even watering it makes it smell good! But then I wish I had enough to pick as well. I guess the answer is to plant MORE.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for the idea on knitting a sachet. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll look it up!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Or you could quilt one! ;-)

I don't think lavender grows here, which is a shame. I love the colour, so clean looking.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

I was just gifted a tremendous bundle of lavender cuttings to give away after dropping someone off at the airport. So have been having fun giving them away this week.

Lisa, I don't usually use the blooms in my cooking/baking, just the green leaves. And these are best harvested just before the lavender goes to bloom...

Looks like you have the same lavender I do. I think English and French lavender best for culinary use. Some lavenders are milder than others and I think these best to use. I don't use the Spanish lavender -- and think I will get rid of it... It's taking up precious space!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Kelsgarden said...

I cut and dried my lavender for the first time this year - and then headed to my favorite nursery to find the perfect type for cutting next year, with deeper color and the best scent! I put in 3 new plants -

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home