Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Catching Up In The Garden



Eli is relaxing in front of the geraniums on the last day of Spring. We've had rather nice weather lately--cloudy and cool in the morning, but sunny in the afternoon. Lots of time for working in the garden. I've weeded buckets and buckets of weeds. Argh. The fireweed is everywhere. No matter how much you pull it, it just pops up elsewhere. (At least it's pretty!)

I finally got an opportunity to see Julie Child (2006 AARS floribunda rose) in bloom. The really beautiful thing about this rose is that when all the blooms on a stalk are blooming at once it's like it's very own bouquet. I'll update with a new photo once that happens.



Julia Child


Also, Westerland is in full bloom. It's absolutely wonderful. Now I am not normally a big rose fan. (I have a number of them that are on death row. I'm waiting one more year for them to prove to me that they deserve room in our garden before pulling them out and dispatching them to plant heaven.) But the roses that I've found lately really are providing a payoff. This one just glows in the landscape and is very disease resistant.



Westerland


Other than that, we just finished carting off all the old, rotten, termite-ridden wood to the landfill. Yes...it's a shame to have to contribute to the local landfill, but it's illegal to burn here, and we simply can't have insect infested wood around the house. It was just too far gone to be of use to anyone.

That said, we have enjoyed ourselves lately with listing other goodies on our local Freecycle site. We've been able to share old hog fencing with a local woman looking for something to keep chickens out of her garden. We've also been able to share some tools, and some household items. It feels good to pass things along that still have some good use to them yet.

We also had a big community garage sale. (That's the same as a jumble sale, rummage sale, etc.) We had lots of things that were taking up valuable space. They were in great shape, but we simply did not use them any longer. We were able to provide a neighbor with a whole set of camping equipment. She was thrilled and planned on giving it to her daughter as part of her wedding gift. They like to camp, but can't afford the campstove, coolers, etc. So now they have them for very little money! Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

I love freecycle! The roses are beautiful. I just had my best rose bush, called Sheila's Perfume, crushed by an huge apple tree limb that was rotten. Apparently the rest of the tree is sound and the rose looks like it can recover.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

Good on you for sharing and giving things a second life by passing them on to those who need them and will treasure them! Also, can I just say, your Westerland rose is simply beautiful beyond words! I am partial to sunset colors.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Lana said...

Hi Lisa! Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know you did:D Those roses are breathtaking!!! I too am trying to simplify my life. Last year we cleaned out all the closets and had 16(!) LARGE trash bags full of clothing to give to those who need it more than we....the closets are STILL FULL and we haven't missed anything yet! It makes me feel ashamed to have such a lot of stuff especially after so many lost everything in the hurricanes! I'm on the path though and that's what counts. Thanks again for stopping by!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

It's a never-ending battle with the stuff, isn't it?

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home