Thursday, July 06, 2006

Film--What's that?



Usually I forget to take my camera when we go places, or else I forget to take photos while I'm there. My DH is much better at this than I am. On this last trip though, he brought along an old 35mm camera that we dug out of a closet. He shot a whole roll of film that we are going to develop to see if the camera still works.

Who would have thought that "film" would become something rarely used except by "real" photographers that want to have more control over their photos? That's one of the things about our everyday world that has changed very quickly. I guess that getting older, one naturally starts noticing these things. How many of us have old typewriters in a closet? You hate the idea of throwing them out, but you can't even give them away at a garage sale. They are too big, take up too much room and not many people even want to use them anymore. We still have a beautiful electric typewriter that my MIL gave to my husband for his birthday when we were first married. I know that it cost her a lot of money, so psychologically, we can't throw it away. It sits, gathering dust.


I also have an old 1930's typewriter that I used to type up all my college papers. It's lovely--truly a beautiful object. But I don't even know if I could find ribbons for it anymore. Yet I can't get rid of it. Sigh.

8 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

DONT"! (get rid of your typewriter!)
You and Maggie looked great underthat tree! What wonderful place to have to hike!

11:43 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

Save your typewriter! Your and Maggie looked great under that tree..what a great place to hike! Gorgeous!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Matthew Bamberg said...

Film is still a great medium...it's consistency makes a photo that is more life-like, like how our eyesite works.

About the typewriter. I used to collect them and had no place to put them. Instead, now I photograph them while antiquing, then frame and sell them. In that way, people have no reason to turn the photos down, they won't collect dust.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

Your typewriter is beautiful, a work of art, something to be treasured and put on display!!!
I used to type on a similar one, always trouble with some of the keys... Not quite so picturesque as yours though!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Don't worry, I won't be getting rid of it. Too sentimental. I love beautiful, useful objects!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Hexdek16 said...

Quite a nice piece of technology....where's the mouse?

8:36 AM  
Blogger Kelsgarden said...

I teach a photography unit (art) at the elementary school - and have to take in an example of film! It is as antique to kids as the camera obscura or dagguerretype

when we discuss printinmaking one of the "artifacts" we discuss is that typewriter!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Jewelielyn said...

yes, i have the electric typewriter i got for my h.s. graduation from my parents--i cannot get rid of it even though i will never use it again. AND it isn't even interesting to look at like your old computer . . .

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home