Wednesday, May 17, 2006

In the Garden

What a wonderful week it's been weatherwise. The temperature here in the Seattle area has been unusually warm. My little thermometer was showing nearly 80 degrees F in the shade at 3:00 p.m. (There has even been a bit of grumbling about it being too hot heard from some quarters.)

 

This is a quick shot of the bed outside our kitchen window. The combination of Forget-me-nots and Welsh poppies was not planned by me, but I love it just the same. These poppies will take over, but they are hardy, and the color pops. (The leaves are very pretty too, rather fern-like.)

 

Here is the little water feature that my dear husband created for me one Sunday. While he was working six days a week, he made time to create this little oasis for me outside the front door. There's also a bench to sit on in order to enjoy the sound of the water. It's a wonderful place to sit and read, or watch the world go by.

 

With all the rain, flooding, and bad weather back East, it seems a bit topsy-turvy in the weather world. My tomatoes are waiting to be planted. This year it's only cherry and grape-style for us. We are planning on redoing our raised beds, so the vegetable garden is behind this year. I'm still trying to decide if the toms are going in the beds, or if they'll be in pots this year.

Also dug up the remains of the golden hops vine that we tried desparately to murder last fall. No good. Those things refuse to die. It's struggling valiently to once again grow up and under our siding! These plants are lovely, but beware--plant them in pots so that they don't take over. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

Sounds like you've got a special guy there! Love the poppies, they're so cheerful.

7:24 PM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

the poppies and forget-me-nots are lovely together, my forget me nots are out but the poppies are only starting to peek through. I would love a water feature, it would be so nice to listen to.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

Call me crazy, but I'm letting hops take over the south side of our house! Or trying to encourage them to grow on anyway! They are Galena variety. I think this is year 3 -- they are excellent for beer and make a nice relaxing tea in the evening that's not sweet...

I too love your poppies, Lisa!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Wildside,

I think your hops are probably not a problem. It's mostly the golden hops that take over the world. Hmm. the hops tea sounds interesting, what does it taste like--beer?

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home