Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My New Baby--Another Step To Frugality.

 
I bought this little yogurt maker awhile ago. My husband likes to take yogurt to work with him each day to eat for breakfast. On sale I could usually pick it up for .50 a carton. That was running $14 a month. Not too bad, but when looking at the additives, etc. that was in the carton, I thought I might be able to make my own, nonfat yogurt and flavor it myself. This little machine cost $19. It paid for itself in the second month. The nonfat milk we were already buying anyway. I had the additional cost of the nonfat dry milk and one .33 cent carton of plain yogurt to use as a starter. Now I make a batch each week. It takes about five minutes of work, and four hours to set up. I flavor it with honey and vanilla and toss in frozen blueberrie, raspberries or whatever. It's not as firm as that you buy, but it's certainly cheaper and more healthful--and it's delicious! Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Wildside Musing said...

As a child we used to make our own, either somehow in a plain quart jar -- and later we bought a maker...

As yogurt is my favorite food -- yum -- the idea of making your own anything is appealling. And I like the looks of your maker.

But the organic milk we buy is now sold at over $5 per gallon and I only spend a couple dollars per month on buying yogurt -- so haven't determined it cost effective as yet. Maybe if I had my own milk cow -- or goat?! (Still trying to figure out how I could get away with that type of "pet" here! ;-) )

10:49 AM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

great idea, my mother has a yoghurt maker that makes six little pots in a row, I've been thinking of getting one for a while.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yikes! $5 a gallon--we drink local milk, but not organic. Too expensive. We go organic on fruit, veggies, and meat. But dairy is just too much. Maybe one day...

2:32 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I was just thinking the other day that I used to use my yogurt maker all the time, then ended up not at all. In some decluttering fit I got rid of it but was wishing I had kept it.

2:25 PM  
Blogger squire said...

I'll have mine with fresh strawberries, thanks.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home