Saturday, January 06, 2007

Solitude and Time to Think


One of the books I received for Christmas is "You Can Go Home Again" by Gene Logsdon (one of my heros). It's a great read and I highly recommend it if you are interested in homesteading, self-sufficiency, or just common sense. Reading this excerpt, got me to thinking and agreeing with what he had to say here. Of course, I'm a bit of an introvert and MUST have time alone or else I tend to melt down. But I do feel that even those more extroverted types would do well to have some time alone. How else can you think about things?

"If people are no longer polite to each other, no longer tolerant, as socialologists say, could that be because of a lack of home life, a lack of suitable periods of privacy and solitude? Where people live more "lonely" lives, at some distance from each other, as in pioneer days, they tend to be more friendly to each other when they do meet. As a traveler I noticed that civility in public places increased as I went from more populated to less populated regions. Even between Minneapolis and Watertown, South Dakota, where I used to go with a cattle buyer when I lived in Minnesota, there was a marked difference in people's attitudes toward strangers. People "far from the madding crowd" appreciated company more, logically enough. But a bunch of humans jammed together would kill each other as rats did in similar situations. Road rage was a desperate cry for solitude.

There is so much to be gained from regular hours alone. Only alone do humans bring to fruition paintings, poems, music, books, scuplture, artistic design of all kinds. How many more good works of art in all fields would be created if people provided for more solitde in their lives?"

8 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Oh so true.

10:41 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

YES!!!!!!!! Totally agree! I am the same way...it's a must-love this post. Thank you for the well wishes!

7:29 PM  
Blogger anita said...

Amen! I simply cannot function unless I have a LOT of "down" time. And I've noticed that the more time I am forced to spend with other people, the ruder and more judgemental I become (in thought, at least).

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I have recently started keeping the TV OFF and watching much less, just for the quiet and solititude. I realized when I was visiting family who have it on 24-7 that it just drove me crazy to not have time to read and reflect. I have been in the process of decluttering my possessions and living a "quiet" life and I must say I am already a happier, more content and less-stressed person.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

"But a bunch of humans jammed together would kill each other as rats did in similar situations."

Sounds harsh, but wonder if this is what is going on? Interactions are, often than not, less than positive in a former backwater growing by leaps and bounds... I relish alone time, so feel hypocritical when I judge others for not practicing politeness because I understand they may be pretending to be alone too. But we're not!

Logged on feeling down because of just a few negative events this week, feeling more and more like a stranger with people all around; this post strikes a chord...

10:50 PM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

Sorry, for the comment above... Just in another one of those pessimistic moods...

1:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

It's interesting that so many people seem to share this feeling. I do think that there is something going on. It would take too long to try to explain. Suffice it to say, that I'm so pleased to know that there are others out there that feel the same way!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hannah,

I would be interested in posting a comment on your site, but don't want to register with AOL. Do you have an email?

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home